Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My favorite bean casserole!!! I've taken this to many potlucks & picnics, & there's never a bean left. Everyone asks for this recipe. This is from 'The Best of the Best' cookbook. I always double this recipe & use a large crock pot; I cook for the same length of time listed below.
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (14 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can lima beans, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can pork and beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Cut bacon into small pieces& fry till crisp.
- Remove from pan.
- Cook onion until soft in bacon grease.
- Put all ingredients into 2 1/2 qt casserole.
- Bake at 350 F for 1 hour.
- If you want them a little drier, don't cover.
- I prefer mine saucier, so I cover them.
- You may also cook in your crockpot for 4-5 hours, on low.
I made this to take to an Easter Potluck at my Grandmothers. It turned out great....everyone had big helpings of it! Thanks for sharing this recipe....
I have not yet made this, but I plan to make it over the holidays. I have a question: does the bacon grease go in the pot? I plan to double the recipe for a potluck. Has anyone done this? How long does it take to heat if you double it? Kathleen
I brought these to a party and they went fast! Everyone enjoyed them. This recipe is a keeper!