Recipe by ColCadsMom
I love eating at Calhoun's when I'm in Tennessee! I was thrilled to find this recipe on their website! The quote that was listed with the recipe was "White Chili is the Signature Soup at Calhoun’s and has been on the menu for almost 20 years."
Top Review by Claudia Dawn
This was very good - going into my "Permanent Addition" cookbook. Instead of baking the chicken ahead, I cooked them in water to form its own broth. I took Kittencal's advice and replaced the garlic powder with fresh, minced garlic and added some red pepper flakes. Thanks for great recipe that I'll be sure to make over and over during the winter.
- 1 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup canned diced green chiles
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 6 cups great northern beans, from canned
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim all fat and cartilage from the chicken breasts.
- Place on a baking pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 20 – 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked throughout.
- Allow to cool, then hand pull into small pieces. Set aside.
- Sauté diced onions, oregano and olive oil together in a soup pot. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Combine water, chicken broth, garlic, cumin, cilantro and green chilies.
- Add to the sautéed onions.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer.
- Add chicken and great northern beans, stir often, simmer for 15 minutes.
- Blend corn starch with the cold water and add to chili.
- Continue to simmer until chili thickens, then remove from heat.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, Monterey Jack cheese, and sour cream.