Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 mins
This is a very tasty way to do liver. Also a very easy recipe to make. The marinating time of 30 minutes is not included.
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried sage, crumbled
- 10 ounces liver, in 2 ¼ inch thick slices
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- In a shallow baking dish, combine well the wine, vinegar, garlic, sage and season to taste.
- Add liver, turning to coat.
- Let marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over moderate heat, stirring, until crisp and transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towel to drain.
- Drain liver from marinade and reserve marinade.
- Pat liver dry.
- Heat bacon fat over moderately-high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add liver and saute, turning once, for 2 minutes, or until it is brown outside and still pink within.
- Transfer to a heated platter.
- Add marinade to skillet and boil over high heat, scraping up brown bits, until it is reduced by half.
- Strain pan juices through a fine sieve over the liver and sprinkle bacon and parsley over.
- In my home, we always had broccoli when we had liver (this cause me much grief as a child, but I grew to love it.) Oven-roasted broccoli and asparagus would be great here.
This is a great way to cook liver. I don't think I let it marinate the full 30 minutes but it was close. This is very easy to make and the wine sauce really puts it over the top! Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT7-Switzerland.