Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Yum! I always like to have oven-roasted vegetables when I have liver. Potatoes and broccoli sound good here.
- 4 cups thinly-sliced onions
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs calf liver, sliced thin and cut into 1 ½ inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 lemon, juice of
- In a large skillet, cook the onions in 2 tblsps of the butter over moderate heat, stirring, for 20 minutes or until soft and golden-brown, and transfer with a slotted spoon to a plate.
- Add the remaining butter and oil to the skillet, heat over high heat until very hot and sauté the liver in batches (liver should be patted dry), separating the pieces with a fork, for 1-2 minutes or until the liver is browned lightly outside but still pink within.
- Stir in the wine and lemon juice and reduce the pan juices until thickened slightly.
- Stir in the onions and season.
- Serve immediately.
sounds heavenly i love calves liver and do a similar recipe myself with balsamic vinegar