Recipe by mammamia #2
Two or three spashes of red wine vinegar give a fresh kick to this old standby. Cooking with bacon also "lightens" the liver taste. When my children were small, I called this "Cowboy Steak." It was inspiration born of desperation. They ate it with enthusiasm.
Top Review by Loveydose
This was very good! I never thought about using red wine vinegar before but it was a nice unique surpirse to my liver. My DH does not like liver but drenching his in the "gravy" made him rethink that liver just may be ok. Thank you for a different way to serve fried liver!!
- 8 slices cooked bacon, torn in bite sized pieces
- 2 sliced onions (I use a little more)
- 1 lb calf liver
- 1⁄2 cup flour (more if needed for dredging meat)
- salt and pepper
- 2 -3 dashes red wine vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in large skillet. Set cooked bacon aside, leaving as much grease as possible in skillet.
- Tear bacon in bite sized pieces.
- Cook sliced onions in grease, with a little salt and pepper, for about 15 minutes, or until limp.
- Remove onions, set aside, leaving as much grease as possible in skillet.
- Lightly salt and pepper liver slices (I cut long slices in half) and dredge heavily in flour.
- Place liver in hot grease, cooking until brown on both sides, over medium heat.
- When liver is browned, add onions, bacon pieces, and 2-3 splashes red wine vinegar.
- Salt and pepper to taste (remember, you have already used some, so go easy until you can taste it).
- Add enough water to make a gravy, barely covering the meat. Stir water to combine with other ingredients evenly.
- Cover, cook on low for 15-20 minutes. It should look like you have gravy.