Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
A savory souffle
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1⁄2 lb sharp cheddar cheese, cut into small pieces
- 10 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup calendula flowers
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Spread butter inside a 5-cup souffle dish or other deep baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the 2 tbsp parmesan cheese.
- Place eggs in a blender and add remaining Parmesan cheese, the half-and-half, mustard, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Process till smooth.
- Add Cheddar cheese piece by piece, while motor is running.
- Add cream cheese and process for 5 seconds.
- Stir in calendula petals.
- Pour souffle mixture into prepared dish.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes
- Tops should be golden brown and slightly cracked; don't over bake.
- Serve immediately, garnishing with whole calendula flowers.