Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 mins
The Bright Calendula (Calendula officinalis) is also know as the pot marigold. (Not to be confused with regular mariglods). This flower is versatile and potent in its' medicinal qualities. Having antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It can be used to soothe and calm sore, cracked skin, cuts, bites, sunburns and generally sensitive skin. Used for massages. Or to make lip balms or body creams.
- 11 ounces safflower oil (all organic) or 11 ounces almond oil (all organic) or 11 ounces olive oil (all organic) or 11 ounces lard (all organic) or 11 ounces sunflower oil (all organic)
- 1 tablespoon vitamin E, as a preservative
- 1 cup dried organic calendula flowers
- 10 -15 sprigs organic dried lavender flowers
- Slowly bring oils to heat over a low flame in a small pot. Stove top not microwave oven.
- Place flowers into a sterilized jar and pour warmed oil over them. Place cap on jar.
- Place jar on counter top for 2 weeks giving a slight shake daily.
- Strain through cheesecloth squeezing all the oil into a sterilized jar.
- Use as is or make a salve or lip balm with the oil.
- Store in a dark cabinet.
- Lasting about 4 months.