Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I don't know if any of the Calendar Girls actually make this sauce, but it was published in the Woman's Institute Christmas Cookbook, so it is possible that they may have made it! This is my own recipe based on that WI recipe - vibrant, curvaceous and colourful plump fresh cranberries cooked with fresh kumquats, port and orange juice - then throw in a cinnamon stick just for good measure! If you are making this for children or those who don't drink alcohol, just leave out the port and add extra orange juice. This sauce will sit quite happily in the fridge - once made - for up to a week; it can also be frozen - just take it out the night before you need to serve it, and thaw it overnight, then gently reheat on the day.
- Put the cranberries, kumquats, orange juice and cinnamon stick into a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil and then lower the heat and simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the fruit is tender.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and add the sugar.
- Cook gently until the sugar has dissolved and the sauce has thickened - for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the port and serve.
- TO FREEZE:.
- Cool after stirring in the port and pack into a freezer container. To use, thaw overnight.
For this recipe I did leave out the port wine, but otherwise followed directions faithfully! The kumquats & the cinnamon add a nice flavor distinctly different from what I'm used to having in similar sauces ~ A very nice change of pace! Thanks for posting your recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my teammates in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #15]