Recipe by Mille®
Superb! Make the day before and pop it in the oven on Sunday (or a holiday) morning.
Top Review by Marysdottir
This was possibly the best breakfast casserole I've ever tasted. In the oven it puffs up like a souffle but completely flattens within a few minutes of coming out of the oven. It was still possible to tell where the edges of the bread were so it was easy to cut into individual "sandwiches" to eat in the living room with a fork for Christmas breakfast. I used bacon cooked brown but not crisp and by morning you could easily cut it with a fork. I added about a teaspoon of Cholupa hot sauce and it was just right for us - merely a hint of heat discernible by some, none at all noticed by most. I had no green pepper so left it out but will use it or red pepper next time (maybe even something with some heat - we like spicy). Instead of Special K, I topped it with crushed Ritz crackers and I am hoping there is still one piece left in the fridge for breakfast at work tomorrow. Thank you,thank you for posting this really delightful recipe.
- 16 slices white bread, with crusts removed
- bacon or ham, sliced thinly
- sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 -2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 dash red pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco)
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- Special K cereal or corn flakes, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 9" x 13" buttered glass baking dish, put 8 pieces of bread, and add pieces to cover dish entirely.
- Cover bread with slices of back bacon or ham- it's best if your meat is about the size of the bread slice, for ease of cutting after it's cooked.
- Lay slices of cheddar cheese on top of bacon and then cover with slices of bread to make it like a sandwich.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, salt and pepper.
- To the egg mixture add dry mustard, onion, green pepper, Worcestershire sauce, milk and Tabasco, and then pour over the sandwiches.
- Cover and let stand in fridge overnight.
- In the morning, melt ¼ lb.
- butter, and pour over the top.
- Cover with crushed Special K or corn flakes and bake, UNCOVERED for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
- Let sit for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- It's very nice served with fresh, chopped fruit.