Cook1 hr 15 mins
Superb! Make the day before and pop it in the oven on Sunday (or a holiday) morning.
Make and share this Caledonian Brunch Casserole (Make-Ahead) recipe from Food.com.
- 16 slices white bread, with crusts removed
- bacon or ham, sliced thinly
- sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 -2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 dash red pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco)
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- Special K cereal or corn flakes, crushed
- In a 9" x 13" buttered glass baking dish, put 8 pieces of bread, and add pieces to cover dish entirely.
- Cover bread with slices of back bacon or ham- it's best if your meat is about the size of the bread slice, for ease of cutting after it's cooked.
- Lay slices of cheddar cheese on top of bacon and then cover with slices of bread to make it like a sandwich.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, salt and pepper.
- To the egg mixture add dry mustard, onion, green pepper, Worcestershire sauce, milk and Tabasco, and then pour over the sandwiches.
- Cover and let stand in fridge overnight.
- In the morning, melt ¼ lb.
- butter, and pour over the top.
- Cover with crushed Special K or corn flakes and bake, UNCOVERED for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
- Let sit for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- It's very nice served with fresh, chopped fruit.