1/1 Photo of Caledonian Brunch Casserole (Make-Ahead)
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Superb! Make the day before and pop it in the oven on Sunday (or a holiday) morning.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 slices white bread, with crusts removed
- bacon or ham, sliced thinly
- sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2-1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup green pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 -2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 dash red pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco)
- 1/4 lb butter
- Special K cereal or corn flakes, crushed
- 1In a 9" x 13" buttered glass baking dish, put 8 pieces of bread, and add pieces to cover dish entirely.
- 2Cover bread with slices of back bacon or ham- it's best if your meat is about the size of the bread slice, for ease of cutting after it's cooked.
- 3Lay slices of cheddar cheese on top of bacon and then cover with slices of bread to make it like a sandwich.
- 4In a bowl, beat eggs, salt and pepper.
- 5To the egg mixture add dry mustard, onion, green pepper, Worcestershire sauce, milk and Tabasco, and then pour over the sandwiches.
- 6Cover and let stand in fridge overnight.
- 7In the morning, melt ¼ lb.
- 8butter, and pour over the top.
- 9Cover with crushed Special K or corn flakes and bake, UNCOVERED for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
- 10Let sit for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- 11It's very nice served with fresh, chopped fruit.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caledonian Brunch Casserole (Make-Ahead)
Serving Size: 1 (205 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 348.6
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 198.2 mg
- Sodium 664.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 11.7 g