Recipe by Graybert
A favorite of mine - one of mom's recipes!
Top Review by "Pink Eyed" Jim Cortina
Awesome recipe! Easy, healthy, cheap. I've been meaning to eat more kale, and now that I've made this recipe once, I know eating kale more often won't be a problem at all. I was lucky enough to have a bit of home made chicken stock in which I cooked the potatoes.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 quarts cold water
- 1⁄2 lb chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb kale, rinsed and thin cut or julienne
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in 3 tablespoons olive oil for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes and cook, stirring constantly, 3 or 4 minutes more.
- Pour in water, bring to a boil, and let boil gently for 20 minutes, until potatoes are real mushy.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-low heat, cook sausage until it has release most of its fat, 10 minutes.
- Mash potatoes or puree.
- Add the sausage, salt and pepper into the soup and return to medium heat.
- Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir kale into soup and simmer, until kale is tender and jade green.
- Stir in the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and serve at once.