1/1 Photo of Caldo Verde (Portuguese Green Soup)
From Like Grandma Used To Make by Reader's Digest, c. 1996. This recipe differs from the original one in that turkey kielbasa has been substituted for Portuguese linguisa sausage and spinach replaces Portuguese cabbage.
My Private Note
side di ...
Units: US | Metric
- 14.79 ml olive oil or 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 828.06 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 283.49 g package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 170.09 g turkey kielbasa, sliced (Polish sausage)
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 1In a large saucepan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- 2Add the broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until potatoes are very soft. Using a potato masher or large spoon, slightly mash potatoes to thicken soup.
- 3Stir in the spinach, kielbasa, salt, and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes more until heated through.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caldo Verde (Portuguese Green Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (350 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 214.4
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 19.6 mg
- Sodium 517.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 10.7 g