Caldo verde means "green soup" and is considered Portugal's national dish. What better way to start off fall than with a simple, flavorful, and nourishing soup. From Cuisine Magazine
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
Add and Simmer
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
Saute Drain and Add
- 1/2 lb pepperoni, peeled,sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1Peel potatoes and slice thinly, about 1/8" thick.
- 2Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.
- 3Then, add potatoes and brown.
- 4This will give the soup a deep color and rich potato taste.
- 5Add onions and red pepper flakes, and cook until onions turn soft.
- 6Stir in garlic, then add broth and bring to boil.
- 7Reduce heat and simmer 1015 minutes until potatoes are done.
- 8Meanwhile, peel casing from pepperoni.
- 9Slice pepperoni into 1/4"-thick pieces.
- 10Heat skillet over medium heat and add slices.
- 11Render and lightly brown on both sides.
- 12Drain on paper towels.
- 13When potatoes are cooked, use a potato masher to mash the slicesbut dont cream them!
- 14Try to simply chunk them enough so the broth thickens.
- 15Now add the drained pepperoni.
- 16In batches, stack stemmed kale and slice into shreds.
- 17Add and cook 23 minutes.
- 18Season with salt.
- 19Just before serving, stir in lemon juice.
- 20Acid turns the kale army-green if added too early.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caldo Verde
Serving Size: 1 (3446 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 335.6
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 33.0 mg
- Sodium 579.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 13.7 g