Prep 40 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a recipe from Manuel Pena from his Portuguese cooking book.
Make and share this Caldo Gallego ( Galician White Bean Soup) ( Portuguese) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup dried white bean (white kidney beans)
- 2 quarts cold water
- 1⁄4 lb serrano ham or 1⁄4 lb prosciutto, diced
- 1⁄4 lb piece salt pork or 1⁄4 lb bacon
- 2 turnips, cut in large pieces
- 1⁄2 lb turnip greens, cut into large pieces
- 1 yukon gold potato, cut into large pieces
- 1⁄4 lb chorizo sausage (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Soak the beans in water overnight.
- Blanch the salt pork or bacon by putting it into cold water, bring to boil, and then drain. Cube into dice.
- In a large kettle put the drained white beans, the two quarts cold water. the ham, the diced salt pork, cover and simmer two hours.
- Add the turnips, turnip greens, potato, sausage, and seasoning of salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook 1/2 hour or until the vegetables, and beans are tender.
- Cut sausage into slices replace them back into the soup and taste again for seasoning.
- Serrano ham is a raw smoked ham similar to prosciutto, it is sometimes hard to find, use large chunks of smithfield ham if you can't find either.
This is definitly a hearty winter soup, its really good on those cold winter or rainy days. I like to add some carrots to it, for some extra colour, I always have turnips in my back yard, and yes I too am Portuguese.