Chef #304103's Note:
this recipe was passed down to me from a old Spaniard. this is the perfect stew for the winter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse beans, cover with 6 cups of water in a large Kettle, soak overnight.
- 2When ready to cook , add additional 1 quart water w/ the salt pork and ham bone.
- 3Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer about 2 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- 4Add potatoes and collards or mustard greens [If using spinach add later with the chorizos]. Simmer 20 minutes.
- 5Cut chorizos in 1-inch pieces. Add to beans and cook 10 min longer. Taste and add salt if necessary [ I doubt it]. If too salty, add additional water.
- 6Remove ham bone. Cut off meat and return meat to stew. Serve in soup bowls.
Nutritional Facts for Caldo Gallego
Serving Size: 1 (752 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1009.3
- Calories from Fat 626
- Total Fat 69.6 g
- Saturated Fat 25.4 g
- Cholesterol 101.6 mg
- Sodium 1981.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.7 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 31.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: