Recipe by frank71175
this recipe was passed down to me from a old Spaniard. this is the perfect stew for the winter.
Top Review by Cream Puff
This is a great and unique recipe, really. Delicious combination of flavors! I found I needed to cook the collard greens and chorizo a little longer than the recipe stated. I also used chicken broth for half the amount of water. This was a yummy dish and I'll definitely make again!
- 1 lb medium white beans
- 2 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1⁄2 lb salt pork, cubed
- 1 meaty ham bone or 1 smoked pork hock
- 6 small white potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 bunch collard greens, mustard greens or 1 bunch spinach
- 4 spanish chorizo sausage
- salt, if needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse beans, cover with 6 cups of water in a large Kettle, soak overnight.
- When ready to cook , add additional 1 quart water w/ the salt pork and ham bone.
- Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer about 2 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Add potatoes and collards or mustard greens [If using spinach add later with the chorizos]. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Cut chorizos in 1-inch pieces. Add to beans and cook 10 min longer. Taste and add salt if necessary [ I doubt it]. If too salty, add additional water.
- Remove ham bone. Cut off meat and return meat to stew. Serve in soup bowls.