Prep 8 hrs
Cook 3 hrs
this recipe was passed down to me from a old Spaniard. this is the perfect stew for the winter.
Make and share this Caldo Gallego recipe from Food.com.
- Rinse beans, cover with 6 cups of water in a large Kettle, soak overnight.
- When ready to cook , add additional 1 quart water w/ the salt pork and ham bone.
- Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer about 2 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Add potatoes and collards or mustard greens [If using spinach add later with the chorizos]. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Cut chorizos in 1-inch pieces. Add to beans and cook 10 min longer. Taste and add salt if necessary [ I doubt it]. If too salty, add additional water.
- Remove ham bone. Cut off meat and return meat to stew. Serve in soup bowls.
This is a great and unique recipe, really. Delicious combination of flavors! I found I needed to cook the collard greens and chorizo a little longer than the recipe stated. I also used chicken broth for half the amount of water. This was a yummy dish and I'll definitely make again!
Great recipe. I grew up on caldo gallego and this makes a great meal. Dip crustry French or Italian bread in this, and I'd recommend using the collard greens over the spinach. Thanks so much for posting!