5 hrs 20 mins
This is definitely comfort food on a snowy winter day!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs beef shank (bone in)
- 2 ears corn
- 1 large chayote (peeled and sliced in long slivers)
- 2 large zucchini (sliced in 1 inch thick slices)
- 2 large carrots (sliced in half inch slices)
- 1/2 lb green beans (ends snapped)
- 1/2 head cabbage (chopped in thirds with the heart attached to keep the leaves together)
- 2 large red potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- 1/4 bunch cilantro
- 6 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 2 roma tomatoes (cut in quarters)
- 1/4 white onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 5 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1In a large stock pot add the beef shanks, onion, tomato, garlic cloves, bouillon cubes, celery salt, and salt.
- 2Bring to a low boil and cook for 4 hours covered.
- 3Add the green beans, carrots, potatoes, and chayote and cook covered for an additional 15 minutes on medium heat.
- 4While the stew is cooking wrap your corn in paper towels and microwave on high for 4 minutes (if in the husk leave the husk on while cooking the corn) peel the husk and silk off and cut the corn cob into thirds.
- 5Add the cabbage, corn, cilantro, and zucchini and cook covered for another 10 minutes or until the zucchini is cooked and tender.
- 6Serve in large bowls with slices of lime and corn tortillas on the side.
- 7Note: I also serve this with chile de arbol which I have posted on this site as well.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caldo De Res (Mexican Beef Stew)
Serving Size: 1 (634 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 610.2
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 121.3 mg
- Sodium 1054.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 54.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: