Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is definitely comfort food on a snowy winter day!
Make and share this Caldo De Res (Mexican Beef Stew) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs beef shank (bone in)
- 2 ears corn
- 1 large chayote (peeled and sliced in long slivers)
- 2 large zucchini (sliced in 1 inch thick slices)
- 2 large carrots (sliced in half inch slices)
- 1⁄2 lb green beans (ends snapped)
- 1⁄2 head cabbage (chopped in thirds with the heart attached to keep the leaves together)
- 2 large red potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- 1⁄4 bunch cilantro
- 6 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 2 roma tomatoes (cut in quarters)
- 1⁄4 white onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 5 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large stock pot add the beef shanks, onion, tomato, garlic cloves, bouillon cubes, celery salt, and salt.
- Bring to a low boil and cook for 4 hours covered.
- Add the green beans, carrots, potatoes, and chayote and cook covered for an additional 15 minutes on medium heat.
- While the stew is cooking wrap your corn in paper towels and microwave on high for 4 minutes (if in the husk leave the husk on while cooking the corn) peel the husk and silk off and cut the corn cob into thirds.
- Add the cabbage, corn, cilantro, and zucchini and cook covered for another 10 minutes or until the zucchini is cooked and tender.
- Serve in large bowls with slices of lime and corn tortillas on the side.
- Note: I also serve this with chile de arbol which I have posted on this site as well.