1/1 Photo of Caldo De Res (A Mexican Beef -Vegetable Soup)
2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Witch Doctor's Note:
If I were feeling sick and run-down, while living in Mexico, I would have my housekeeper fix up a batch of Caldo de Res. This would fix me right up. Most people ate this with tortillas but she would always serve this with some Mexican cornbread baked in a cast-iron skillet. Makes my mouth water just thinking of this!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs beef shank, bone-in
- 1 medium white onion, finely diced
- 1 cup chopped onion, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 12 ounces beef stock
- 12 ounces stewed tomatoes
- 4 ears corn
- 4 baking potatoes, unpeeled
- 2 chayotes (may substitute zucchini)
- 6 carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus extra for garnish
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 limes or 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- corn tortilla, for garnish
- sliced jalapeno, for garnish
- 1Chop the beef shank into large chunks, keeping some attached to the bone.
- 2Sauté the beef chunks with the chopped onions, salt, and pepper.
- 3After the beef is browned, add the beef stock and the stewed tomatoes.
- 4Bring the mixture to a boil, then simmer just below the boiling point for about one hour, until the beef is “spoon tender”.
- 5Wash the vegetables thoroughly, then cut each ear of corn and each potato into quarters.
- 6Cut equivalent chunks of carrots and chayote (if zucchini is used, keep pieces bigger as they will cook faster than chayote).
- 7Add the vegetables to the soup.
- 8Chop ¼ cup of cilantro and add it to the mixture, then add water to cover the vegetables and bring the mixture to a boil.
- 9Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 10Cut the cabbage into ½ and then into thirds, leaving the stem of the cabbage intact.
- 11Wedge the cabbage chunks into the mixture and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- 12Serve, making sure each bowl contains chunks of all the vegetables.
- 13Garnish with a squeeze of lemon or lime. Serve with heated tortillas.
- 14Caldo de Res is accompanied by chopped sides of onion and cilantro which may be added according to taste.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caldo De Res (A Mexican Beef -Vegetable Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (783 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 701.8
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 88.4 mg
- Sodium 2522.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 93.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.2 g
- Sugars 26.2 g
- Protein 63.3 g