1/1 Photo of Caldo De Pollo--mexican Chicken Stew/soup
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 15 mins
' =^..^= 'Ameera' =^..^= ''s Note:
This soup is a recipe of my friend's father who passed away a few years ago. It is soooo delicious I was shocked when I found out how easy it is to make!! the El Pato sauce called for in this recipe is easily found in the Mexican isle of your grociery store (unless you live in Queensland, Australia... can't find it here!! I have to have my sister send it to me from the U.S. just so I can make this soup!!) or at a Mexican market. Make sure to get the yellow can labelled "hot tomato sauce" or "salsa de chile fresco" It is really cheap... the grociery store in Colorado (where I used to live) sold it for 69 cents. It is the key to the soup. You can easliy change the meat to beef and use beef broth instead of water... or some nice white fish or shrimp..but if using seafood the seafood should be added in the last 5 minutes of cooking time. Also, you can play with the veggies too!! I do need to warn you that it is a little bit too spicy for most children.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped 1/2-inch thick
- 3 medium potatoes, chopped bite size
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery, chopped 1/4 inch thick
- 1 (7 3/4 ounce) can of el pato brand salsa fresco salsa (or "hot tomato sauce", the yellow can not the green!)
- 6 -8 pieces chicken thighs or 6 -8 pieces chicken legs, skinless, bone-in
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- salt and pepper
- 1 -1 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- lemon wedges or lime wedge (to garnish)
- 1in one tablespoon olive oil, heat pot on high heat and sear the chicken pieces till brown on all sides.
- 2remove and transfer to a plate/bowl (you will add it back).
- 3sautee onions with the rest of the olive oil in that same pot till translucent.
- 4add all the veggies.
- 5add chicken, water, El Pato sauce, and 1 tsp salt.
- 6Bring to boil, cover, lower heat to medium and cover and let cook for 25 minutes.
- 7lower heat to medium-low and let cook for 35 more minutes--the chicken will be falling off the bone. :D yumm!
- 8taste and add more salt and then pepper as needed.
- 9then throw in the cilantro, give it a good stir, then cover again and let it simmer for about 2 minutes.
- 10ladle in a bowl just like that or over Mexican rice and garnish with lemon or lime wedges so your guests can squeeze it inches.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caldo De Pollo--mexican Chicken Stew/soup
Serving Size: 1 (666 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 424.2
- Calories from Fat 206
- Total Fat 22.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 94.7 mg
- Sodium 875.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 23.6 g