Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
South Texas style- the only time i can find caldo de pollo cooked this way is when i go to south Texas
- 4 -5 lbs chicken quarters
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 5 fresh garlic cloves
- 2 medium onions
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro
- 3 lbs potatoes
- 4 ears corn
- 4 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 1⁄2 stalk celery
- 1 cabbage
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- Cut onions in large chunks and chop cilantro.
- put chicken in a very large pot. I cut the legs off of the thighs.
- Cover with water.
- Add bouillon cubes.
- Bring to a boil
- Add whole garlic cloves, onions, salt,and cilantro.
- Lower heat and simmer 1 hour and fifteen minutes.
- While chicken cooks peel and cut potatoes into large pieces.
- Cut zucchini and squash into 1.5 inch slices.
- Cut celery into 1 inch pieces.
- Quarter the cabbage.
- Cut corn into 3 inch pieces.
- Remove any fat at this point if you wish and you can take skins off chicken.
- Add potatoes and corn cook for 20 minutes.
- Add squash, zucchini,and celery cook 10 minutes.
- Add cabbage and cook for 15 more mins or until cabbage and squash are soft.