Recipe by Brisket in Roses
I doubt this can be considered a stew because it is not thick, but it is chunky with vegetables. I love it, especially with some cilantro and lime. Yummy!
Top Review by leelew03
I doubled the recipe to eat this every day...it's so yummy! I did get help from my mom on timing so this is what she suggested...1. Cover chicken with water to boil about 20-30 min (my mom likes to use drumsticks because of the flavor of the bone and I like thighs for extra chicken) 2. Add the seasoning(salt, pepper, and knorr), bay leaf, onion, celery, corn, and large jalapeno (she takes out in the end but I keep for spice) then simmer for 20-30 min 3. Add potatoes and carrots and cook for another 20-30 min 4. Last 10 min of cooking add cabbage, squash/chayote, and more salt/pepper *As a preference my kids like me to mix in spanish rice and serve with rolled tortillas and crema (sour cream)...Delish :)
- 2 lbs chicken, bone in, I usually use drumsticks
- 1 large onion, cut in eights
- 1 small green cabbage, cut in eights
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chayotes, peeled and cut in chunks
- 16 ounces frozen corn on the cob, nibblers (6 ct)
- 2 medium carrots, cut in chunks
- 3 large potatoes, cut in chunks
- 3 celery ribs, cut in chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 -3 quarts water (must cover the chicken)
- salt and pepper
- cilantro, roughly chopped for garnish
- lime, cut into wedges
- onion, diced for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and dry chicken and place in stockpot. Add the corn on the cob nibblers with the chicken. Cover with water and season with salt.
- Add onion, bay leaves and garlic and let simmer for about 20 minutes (longer if using bigger pieces of chicken).
- Add the carrots, celery ribs, chayote, and potatoes and cook until vegetables are near tender.
- Add the cabbage, add more salt if needed and add pepper. Let simmer for about 5-10 minutes until cabbage is tender.
- Serve and garnish with cilantro, diced onion, and lime wedges. Adjust to taste with lime wedges.