Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I doubt this can be considered a stew because it is not thick, but it is chunky with vegetables. I love it, especially with some cilantro and lime. Yummy!
- 2 lbs chicken, bone in, I usually use drumsticks
- 1 large onion, cut in eights
- 1 small green cabbage, cut in eights
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chayotes, peeled and cut in chunks
- 16 ounces frozen corn on the cob, nibblers (6 ct)
- 2 medium carrots, cut in chunks
- 3 large potatoes, cut in chunks
- 3 celery ribs, cut in chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 -3 quarts water (must cover the chicken)
- salt and pepper
- cilantro, roughly chopped for garnish
- lime, cut into wedges
- onion, diced for garnish
- Rinse and dry chicken and place in stockpot. Add the corn on the cob nibblers with the chicken. Cover with water and season with salt.
- Add onion, bay leaves and garlic and let simmer for about 20 minutes (longer if using bigger pieces of chicken).
- Add the carrots, celery ribs, chayote, and potatoes and cook until vegetables are near tender.
- Add the cabbage, add more salt if needed and add pepper. Let simmer for about 5-10 minutes until cabbage is tender.
- Serve and garnish with cilantro, diced onion, and lime wedges. Adjust to taste with lime wedges.