Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Another family favorite from my "Low Fat Mexican Recipes." Chicken soup is not only good for your soul, but good for your body too!
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, bone-in
- 8 cups water
- 2 chilies (Anaheim or New Mexico)
- 1 onion, quartered
- 4 stalks celery, diced in large pieces
- 4 carrots, sliced in large pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 zucchini, sliced in large pieces
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot, cover chicken breasts with water and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 10 minutes, skimming off any fat that floats to the surface.
- Add seeded and diced chiles (be sure to wear rubber gloves and don't touch your face).
- Add onion, celery, carrots, bay leaf and seasonings.
- Reduce heat, cover pot and simer for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken, debone and add back to pot.
- Add zucchini, salt and pepper.
- continue simmering until vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.