Recipe by Happy Hippie
Another family favorite from my "Low Fat Mexican Recipes." Chicken soup is not only good for your soul, but good for your body too!
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, bone-in
- 8 cups water
- 2 chilies (Anaheim or New Mexico)
- 1 onion, quartered
- 4 stalks celery, diced in large pieces
- 4 carrots, sliced in large pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 zucchini, sliced in large pieces
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, cover chicken breasts with water and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 10 minutes, skimming off any fat that floats to the surface.
- Add seeded and diced chiles (be sure to wear rubber gloves and don't touch your face).
- Add onion, celery, carrots, bay leaf and seasonings.
- Reduce heat, cover pot and simer for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken, debone and add back to pot.
- Add zucchini, salt and pepper.
- continue simmering until vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.