Recipe by deborah03
from the cookbook called seasoned with sun by the junior league of el paso. i make this all the time during the fall and winter months. my family loves it.
Top Review by Brenda #6
This is a fantastic recipe - Thank you! My husband is from El Paso and his father helped establish the first little league in El Paso so I knew I had to try this recipe. I did make a few changes; 1 1/2 pds cubed sirloin roast as I thought 3 lbs was too much meat; I only used 2 TLBS bacon grease and that was plenty; 1 cup chicken stock instead of 1/2 cup; 1 tsp pepper. This is one of my new favorite recipes and my husband really likes it too. Thanks again!
- 3 lbs cubed stew meat
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced onions
- 4 -5 tablespoons bacon grease
- 3 cups canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1⁄2 cups green chili peppers, strips peeled and roasted
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock or 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt or 2 teaspoons garlic powder (whichever you prefer)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed small
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef and saute onions in bacon grease.
- Add diced tomatoes, chile strips, both beef and chicken broths, and all seasonings to beef and onions mixture.
- Simmer over low heat until meat is tender.
- Add cubed potatoes during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- This freezes well before the potatoes are added.
- This mexican stew can be served with warm dinner rolls, flour tortillas, or even cornbread.
- It makes one gallon of stew.