Member #610488's Note:
This recipe goes well with the traditional Portuguese corn bread, broa.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, washed and coarsely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, white parts only coarsely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1 red bell pepper, cored seeded diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1 quart fish stock or 1 quart water
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice (add only if using water and not fish stock)
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 lbs cod fish fillets or 3 lbs boneless white fish, and shellfish
- 1Heat the oil in a large stockpot or dutch oven, add the onions and leeks and saute until softened. Add the fennel and garlic and saute until aromatic.
- 2Add all of the remaining ingredients except the fish and/or shellfish and bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 3While the stock is simmering, cut the fish into bite-sized portions. Bring the stock back to a rapid boil, add the fish and cook for 1 minute.
- 4Add the shellfish (if using) and continue to boil until shells open, approximately 1 minute. Shake the pot occasionally to encourage clam and mussel shells to open. If using shrimp, turn off the heat as soon as the shrimp lose their gray translucency. Any longer than this and they become tough and overcooked. Depending on your pot and burner, this will probably be about 2-3 minutes.
- 5Serve hot with wedges of Broa either on the side or in the dish with the soup ladled over.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caldeirada De Peixe (Portuguese Fish Stew)
Serving Size: 1 (492 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 430.8
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 99.3 mg
- Sodium 1698.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 46.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of