1/2 Photos of Caldeirada De Peixe (Portuguese Fish Stew)
This dish is named for the traditional pot it is cooked in. This version contains not only 2 kinds of fish, but shrimp, mussels, and clams as well. Traditionally, it is a thick stewed chock full of seafood. We prefer it more like a soup, hence the optional vegetable broth.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 3 onions, cut in half then sliced thin
- 2 red peppers, sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 283.49 g potatoes, peeled and sliced in 1/2 inch slices
- 4 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 354.88 ml dry white wine
- 946.36 ml vegetable broth (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 black peppercorns
- 0.25 ml saffron
- 453.59 g swordfish, 1 1/2 inch dice (or mackerel or tuna ie oily fish)
- 453.59 g haddock, 1 1/2 inch dice (or sea bass or monkfish, ie white fish)
- 16 large shrimp, peeled tails intact
- 16 mussels
- 16 clams
- fresh cilantro (to garnish)
- 1In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium low heat, add onion, peppers, garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion softens, about 10 minutes.
- 2Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- 3Add potato, tomato, wine, broth if using, bay leaves, peppercorns, and saffron; bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until potato is just tender, about 20 minutes.
- 4Arrange fish cubes over onion mixture, then layer on shrimp, then mussels and clams; cover, cook until shells open, about 6 to 8 minutes (discard any shells that do not open).
- 5Ladle stew into serving bowl and garnish with cilantro.
- 6Meanwhile, prepare the garlic toasts by rubbing the cut side of the garlic over the toast; serve with stew.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caldeirada De Peixe (Portuguese Fish Stew)
Serving Size: 1 (531 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 696.0
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 107.5 mg
- Sodium 1194.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 49.3 g