In days gone bye, horse-drawn carts in the streets of New Orleans sold these wonderful, aromatic rice cakes. They have never been widely available in restaurants. They make a great breakfast or snack. These sweets were very popular.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and vanilla.
- Thoroughly mix the rice and eggs together in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the rice and egg mixture.
- When thoroughly mixed, drop by spoonfuls into the hot deep fat (about 360 degrees F) and fry until brown.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve while hot.
- Other variations are to serve with honey.