1/1 Photo of Calas (Fried Rice Balls)
Miss Annie's Note:
In days gone bye, horse-drawn carts in the streets of New Orleans sold these wonderful, aromatic rice cakes. They have never been widely available in restaurants. They make a great breakfast or snack. These sweets were very popular.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and vanilla.
- 2Thoroughly mix the rice and eggs together in a separate bowl.
- 3Add the dry ingredients to the rice and egg mixture.
- 4When thoroughly mixed, drop by spoonfuls into the hot deep fat (about 360 degrees F) and fry until brown.
- 5Drain on paper towel.
- 6Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve while hot.
- 7Other variations are to serve with honey.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Calas (Fried Rice Balls)
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 468.0
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 93.0 mg
- Sodium 363.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 10.8 g