Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is posted in response to a request. The request wanted the Hershey kisses although the original recipe didn't call for them. This is a variation of a New Orleanean dish.
- Cook 2/3 cup plain white rice until tender, spread on tray to cool.
- Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Sift In a deep bowl.
- Beat the eggs and sugar for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir.
- Add the flour mixture ½ cup at a time and stir well between additions.
- Divide dough into 6 portions and shape into balls about 2 ½ inches in diameter, (if you want to use the hershey kisses, insert them at this point into the center of the rice ball making sure that they are completely covered.) Moisten hands with water to keep it from sticking.
- Heat oil to 350°F.
- Deep fry rice balls, two or three at a time turning often for about 8 minutes until golden brown and crusty.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar or sugar and cinnamon.