This is posted in response to a request. The request wanted the Hershey kisses although the original recipe didn't call for them. This is a variation of a New Orleanean dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook 2/3 cup plain white rice until tender, spread on tray to cool.
- 2Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- 3Sift In a deep bowl.
- 4Beat the eggs and sugar for 2-3 minutes.
- 5Add the rice and stir.
- 6Add the flour mixture ½ cup at a time and stir well between additions.
- 7Divide dough into 6 portions and shape into balls about 2 ½ inches in diameter, (if you want to use the hershey kisses, insert them at this point into the center of the rice ball making sure that they are completely covered.) Moisten hands with water to keep it from sticking.
- 8Heat oil to 350°F.
- 9Deep fry rice balls, two or three at a time turning often for about 8 minutes until golden brown and crusty.
- 10Drain on paper towels.
- 11Sprinkle with powdered sugar or sugar and cinnamon.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for CALAS (Deep fried rice balls)
Serving Size: 1 (79 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 234.5
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 70.5 mg
- Sodium 213.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 6.7 g