Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Deep-fried sweet rice cakes from Louisiana!
- 2 eggs
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 225 g cold cooked rice
- 100 g flour
- vegetable oil, to fry
- icing sugar, to serve
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs and sugar and beat on high until yellow.
- Add vanilla, nutmeg, lemon, salt, baking powder and rice. Stir in until well-mixed.
- Add enough flour to bind ingredients.
- Heat 7.5 cm/3 inch oil in a pan or wok to 185 degrees Celsius Drop teaspoonfuls of mixture into hot oil - but do not crowd.
- Fry until golden brown, turning once (about 4 min).
- Remove from oil, drain, place on kitchen paper and keep warm in oven whilst finishing.
- Serve sifted with icing sugar.