Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 28 fluid ounces water
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (cabernet shrivas)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 16 ounces uncooked linguine
- 3 lbs squid, cleaned and sliced into rings
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until lightly brown.
- Stir in tomato puree, water, red wine, salt, sugar and crushed red pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add linguine and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Stir calamari into the tomato sauce.
- Continue to simmer until squid is opaque.
- Check frequently to avoid overcooking squid (cook time aprox 15 mins) Serve squid and sauce over cooked linguine.