Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This was the first way that I tried Calamari and loved it.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 6 dashes hot sauce
- 1 lb frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cleaned calamari (abt 24 pieces)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- To make the Spinach: In a large skillet, heat olive oil.
- Add onion and garlic; saute 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, soy sauce, ginger, and hot sauce; simmer 5 minutes.
- Add spinach; bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and keep warm.
- In a dish or resealable plastic bag, place calamari, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Toss to coat calamari.
- Marinate 10 minutes.
- Thread six 12-inch skewers with calamari.
- Brush with sesame oil.
- Grill 4 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time.
- Serve skewers on warm Asian spinach.
I made this last Mother's day. In Australia, we have a few different types of Spinach but best to use English spinach here. It's visually very appealling and everyone loved it.