Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This was featured on Everyday Italian, and I couldn't stop my mouth from watering. The good thing is, it hardly takes any time at all to prepare, so you'll be eating in no time! She suggests buying the uncut squid, so that you can slice it into the thickness that you'd like.
For the Calamari Stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, cut in 1/2
- 1 3⁄4 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leave
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 lbs calamari, bodies thinly sliced and tentacles whole (squid)
For the Garlic Toast
- 4 -6 slices bread
- olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 -3 whole garlic cloves
- For the Calamari Stew: Warm the olive oil over medium heat in a medium pot.
- Add the garlic and let cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the garlic.
- Add the tomato sauce, white wine, thyme, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the calamari and stir to combine.
- Continue to cook until the mixture comes back up to a simmer, about 2 more minutes.
- Serve immediately with the Garlic Toasts.
- For the Garlic Toast: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, drizzle the bread slices with olive oil.
- Toast until the bread is crisp and turning golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and rub the top of the toasts with whole garlic cloves.
- Serve immediately with the Calamari Stew.
This was a very tasty calamari dish. I halved the recipe and used pasta sauce in place of the tomato sauce and served this over some angel hair pasta. Yum! I had a pound of calamari I was trying to use up and this was perfect for it. Thanks so much for posting, this is a recipe I would make again.