Recipe by Pilates Gal
Another family recipe I got from Italian friends while living in Naples. This is so easy if you can find the squid.
Top Review by madeinthekitchen
this was very yummy, i didn't saute the squid though in olive oil. i sauteed onions and then put tomato sauce in it with some herbs, then i put the stuffed squid in it and baked it for 35 minutes 180 degrees. It was yummy , the squid very tender.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs squid, cleaned
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced celery
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs, see notes
- 4 tablespoons virgin olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove tenticles and leave the body whole. Saute the onion, celery and garlic in half the olive oil. Chop the tentacles fine and saute them for a few minutes. Add the parsley and bread crumbs, mixing well. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the squid, but not too much, and close the opening with a toothpick. They will shrink during the cooking and if stuffed too full they'll split open. Saute them in the bottom of a heavy pot in a little olive oil on all sides.
- Pour your favorite marinara sauce over and cook for about 45 minutes, over very low heat, until tender. You can make this ahead and reheat it - it gets even better.