Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love calamari no matter how it's cooked, but this is a good one!
- 3 lbs frozen calamari, thawed and cleaned (squid)
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- Cut calamari into small strips.
- Place in saucepan and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes (do not add water) Drain all but 1 cup of liquid.
- Add oil, garlic, chili pepper, sauce, parsley and salt.
- Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add wine and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve over cooked rice or noodles.
This was wonderful. While I did use all the ingredients for this recipe, I change the technique somewhat since I used one bag of frozen calamari rings from Trader Joes and another bag of a mixture of scallops, shrimp and calamari. Since I didn't want the shrimp to be overdone (or the calamari), I made the sauce first and then added the seafood and simmered for a few minutes until everything was just done. I served this over whole-wheat penne. I am eating the leftovers from last night right now and it is terrific....I also shredded some fresh asiago cheese over the top when served. Roasted asparagus on the side, Caesar salad as an appetizer. Marvelous!! Thanks for posting!