Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
I LOVE fried calamari! This is a very light beer batter, so you can actually enjoy the flavor of the seafood. Word to the wise: COVERED deep-frying works best here! I serve these with my Brown Sugar-Lemon Cocktail Sauce or Creamy Wasabi-Mustard Seafood Sauce.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs squid, cleaned and cut into 1 inch rings
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounces bottles beer
- 2 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
- Combine flour, egg, beer, onion powder, garlic powder, garlic salt and pepper.
- Dip 4 to 5 squid rings into batter to coat.
- Deep fry in hot oil (about 350 degrees F on a candy/fryer thermometer) until tender and golden brown, generally no more than 45 seconds to 1 minute.
- Don't overcrowd or they will take longer to brown and squid will become tough.
- Remove squid with slotted spoon on drain on paper towel.
- Serve with a dipping sauce if you like, or drench in freshly squeezed lemon!