I like calamari, but only the rings (nothing with tentacles please). I found some frozen calamari rings in the Seafood Department of my supermarket and bought them on impulse. I then had to figure out what to do with them, rather than just fry them. Here's what I came up with.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb linguine
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb frozen squid ring, thawed
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 (26 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add red onion and saute until tender, about 5-10 minutes. Add bay leaf and garlic; cook for an additional minutes (do not let garlic burn).
- 2Add calamari and saute for 2 minutes or so, until lightly colored. Add white wine, and cook for 3-4 minutes, until liquid is reduced. Add salt, red pepper,and marjoram; stir to combine. Add marinara sauce, bring to a slow simmer, then cover and cook gently for 20-30 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, cook linguine according to package directions.
- 4When sauce is done, stir in fresh basil then spoonover linguine and serve.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Calamari Fra Diavolo over Linguine
Serving Size: 1 (484 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 822.6
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 269.1 mg
- Sodium 1496.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 120.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 22.5 g
- Protein 36.7 g