Recipe by An Italian Jew, but Irish!
This is the only way to make calamari that will satisfy a true Italian. the sauce you serve it with is your choice, but I recommend a marinara or wine based sauce, or none at all.
Top Review by Papa D 1946-2012
Made exactly as written and these were the best Calamari I've ever eaten. Wonderful texture and flavor. Severed Recipe #313788 for dipping. Made for *Fall 2008 PAC* Thanks!
- 907.18 g cleaned squid
- 236.59 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml white wine (dry)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 14.19 ml sea salt
- 14.19 ml fresh ground pepper
- 473.18 ml flour
- 3784.0 ml hot fat (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean the squid, separate the tentacles, and cut the tubes into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, and white wine. put the cut squid(including tentacles) into it and let it sit for two hours in refrigerator(covered).
- Drain the squid and tentacles in colander. pat all dry. toss all in flour with salt and pepper mixed in, shaking off excess.
- In batches, drop all into hot fat for 30-45 seconds.
- Drain all on paper towel. keep warm in oven while you cook the rest.
- Serve with hot marinara or sauce of your choice.