Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is the only way to make calamari that will satisfy a true Italian. the sauce you serve it with is your choice, but I recommend a marinara or wine based sauce, or none at all.
- 2 lbs cleaned squid
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup white wine (dry)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄16 cup sea salt
- 1⁄16 cup fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups flour
- 4 quarts hot fat (for frying)
- Clean the squid, separate the tentacles, and cut the tubes into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, and white wine. put the cut squid(including tentacles) into it and let it sit for two hours in refrigerator(covered).
- Drain the squid and tentacles in colander. pat all dry. toss all in flour with salt and pepper mixed in, shaking off excess.
- In batches, drop all into hot fat for 30-45 seconds.
- Drain all on paper towel. keep warm in oven while you cook the rest.
- Serve with hot marinara or sauce of your choice.
Made exactly as written and these were the best Calamari I've ever eaten. Wonderful texture and flavor. Severed Authentic Italian American Marinara Sauce/ Red Gravy for dipping. Made for *Fall 2008 PAC* Thanks!