Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is the only way to make calamari that will satisfy a true Italian. the sauce you serve it with is your choice, but I recommend a marinara or wine based sauce, or none at all.
- 2 lbs cleaned squid
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup white wine (dry)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄16 cup sea salt
- 1⁄16 cup fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups flour
- 4 quarts hot fat (for frying)
- Clean the squid, separate the tentacles, and cut the tubes into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, and white wine. put the cut squid(including tentacles) into it and let it sit for two hours in refrigerator(covered).
- Drain the squid and tentacles in colander. pat all dry. toss all in flour with salt and pepper mixed in, shaking off excess.
- In batches, drop all into hot fat for 30-45 seconds.
- Drain all on paper towel. keep warm in oven while you cook the rest.
- Serve with hot marinara or sauce of your choice.
Made exactly as written and these were the best Calamari I've ever eaten. Wonderful texture and flavor. Severed Recipe #313788 for dipping. Made for *Fall 2008 PAC* Thanks!