If you love calamari, you'll love this delicious, refreshing salad. If you've never tried calamari, this is the recipe for you!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice or 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron thread, crumbled and dissolved in
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar or 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 lb fresh peas, shelled or 1/2 lb sugar snap pea, strings removed
- 1 1/2 lbs small squid, cleaned,bodies cut into thin rings and tentacles halved if large
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- coarse sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, peeled,seeded and cut into small dice
- 20 basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, use leaves only,coarsely chopped
- 1In a large saucepan, bring 10 cups of water to a boil.
- 2Stir in 1 tblsp salt.
- 3Add the rice and cook uncovered over medium heat until al dente, about 15 minutes.
- 4Drain in a colander, rinse with cold water and drain again.
- 5Place the rice in a large serving bowl and toss with the saffron water.
- 6Stir in ¼ cup of the olive oil and the vinegar.
- 7In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, blanch the peas for 1 minutes.
- 8Drain in a colander, rinse with cold water and drain again.
- 9In a large nonreactive skillet, heat the remaining 2 tblsps olive oil over high heat until hot but not smoking.
- 10Add the squid and cook, stirring occasionally, just until opaque throughout, 2-3 minutes.
- 11Transfer the squid to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- 12Add the wine and garlic to the skillet and boil until the liquid is reduced to ½ cup, about 3 minutes.
- 13Season with coarse sea salt and pepper and let cool.
- 14Add the squid and its liquid, the peas, tomatoes, basil and thyme to the rice and toss.
- 15Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- 16Let stand for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- 17This salad is best at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Squid Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Calamari and Saffron Rice Salad
Serving Size: 1 (502 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 692.6
- Calories from Fat 212
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 396.3 mg
- Sodium 87.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 36.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: