Recipe by cookiedog
I watched Paula Deen make this on TV today and it is on my list of recipes to make- Soon! Time does not include 2 hours inactive prep time while calamari soaks in buttermilk.
- 2 cups calamari, sliced into rings (use tubes and tentacles)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons whole butter
- 3⁄4 cup sliced mild banana pepper
- 3⁄4 cup large diced tomato
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallion
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean and soak calamari in buttermilk for 2 hours before cooking. Drain well.
- Season flour with salt and pepper. Dredge calamari with flour until each ring separates easily from others. Put in sifter and shake off excess flour.
- Heat oil and fry calamari until golden brown. DO NOT OVERCOOK!
- Start with 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. When butter is melted, add peppers and tomatoes. Deglaze with lemon juice. Add remaining butter and scallions. Toss.
- Add calamari and toss. Serve.