Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
A very light and elegant salad. Serve with crusty french bread and wine for a Mediterranean feast! Also popularly served as an appetizer or "tapa."
- 1 small onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 large ripe tomatoes, seeded
- 1⁄2 lb cooked calamari, cut in rings (boiled in salted water just until tender, about 2 minutes...as soon as they turn white) or 1 (1 lb) calamari, cleaned and sliced into rings, tentacles left whole, then cooked
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- Finely dice onion, tomato and peppers.
- Make the vinaigrette: Whisk olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper until combined.
- Toss all ingredients in a bowl and chill for an hour before serving.
- For a prettier salad, arrange lettuce leaves on a serving platter, top with salad and garnish with parsley sprigs and lemon wedges.
- Note: You may substitute any seafood for the calamari--octopus sliced on the diagonal are really good, shrimp, scallops, mussels, or even a mixture of seafood.
This was a delicious recipe! I almost made this exactly as directed, but my peppers would fairly large, so I only used half of each, and it was plenty (otherwise, I think the peppers would've overpowered the other ingredients). Everything came together easily - the chopping is the only "time-consuming" part, and it only took about 15 minutes to get everything chopped; and while I chopped, I slowly began heating the salted water, so it came together very quickly. I chilled it for about two hours, and let it sit at room temp for about 20 minutes before we ate. In fact, we meant this to be an appetizer, but it was so good, we polished it off, with some good bread and wine (as suggested), and never made our planned dinner! This will be making many appearances as the weather gets warmer, as it's a very refreshing dish with wonderful flavor. I will probably tinker around with it and try it with lemon and garlic, too, just because I think a variation would be delicious as well. Great recipe, canarygirl!
Superb!! I used 1/2 cup each green and red pepper. 1/4 cup onion 3/4 cup tomato 3 tbs olive oil 2 tbs balsamic vinegar salt/ pepper just over 1/4 lb squid. excellent results! I had a dish simular to this at Atlantic Beach, Virginia a few years ago and I have been searching for a recipe and have finally found it! Thanks. Buddy P.