Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a traditional Caribbean dish. Make some dumplings and add to the soup or try adding some diced ham just before serving. You can freeze this soup but do not boil when reheating or the texture will be changed
- 1 bunch dasheen leaves (Taro Plant Leaves, or use 1 bunch swiss chard & 1/2 bunch spinach, washed & chopped)
- 1⁄2 lb salt pork, cubed
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 large sweet peppers, seeded & coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb frozen sliced okra
- 8 1⁄2 cups water
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 scotch bonnet peppers or 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Fry the salt pork in a large saucepan until well browned, add onion& green peppers, cook until softened Add greens& okra cook 4 minutes.
- Add water, bring to a boil, reduce heat add garlicthyme& hot pepper.
- Simmer until the okra is tender.
- Strain liquid into a bowl and set the veggies aside to cool.
- When the stoch has cooled sufficiently skim off any congealed fat.
- Puree the veggies until smooth.
- Return liquid to the pot add pureed veggies, chicken stock, coconut milk& nutmeg Simmer for 1 hour but do not let it boil.
- The texture of Calaloo should be like bisque.