Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
A dessert for Day of the Dead in Mexico
- 4 -5 lbs pumpkin
- 8 cinnamon sticks
- 1 orange, juice of
- 4 cups water
- 2 lbs brown sugar or 2 lbs raw sugar
- Cut the pumpkin into medium (2½" to 3" squares or triangles). Remove seeds and strings. With a sharp knife make diamond designs over the pulp.
- Put the sugar in a pan with the cinnamon, orange juice, and water. Bring to a boil and stir until the piloncillo has dissolved.
- Place the first layer of pieces of pumpkin upside down so they absorb as much juice as possible. The second layer should be with the pulp upwards. Cover and simmer.
- When ready the top of the pumpkin pieces should look somewhat glazed, and the pulp soft and golden brown.
- Let cool and serve with the syrup. You can also add cold evaporated milk.
- Note time is a guess. Go by how the pumpkin looks.