I think that New Mexico has a law on the books that says that everyone has to eat squash regularly. That's okay, because once you've tried this 'squash and chiles', you will like squash! PS zucchini is a green squash...or you can use yellow squash.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -6 fresh roasted green chilies, chopped or 1 cup chopped frozen green chili, thawed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini, cubed
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1/3 cup cream or 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 dash salt and pepper
- 1Saute the onion and garlic in the bacon grease or oil until translucent.
- 2Add the chiles, zucchini, and corn.
- 3Simmer until the squash is tender, about 20 minutes.
- 4Add the cream.
- 5Raise heat until cream starts to boil.
- 6Cook until vegetables are hot and the sauce is slightly thickened.
- 7Salt and pepper to taste.
- 8Sprinkle with cheddar, and serve.
- 9Note for A Vegetarian or meatless option use the oil.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Calabacitas Con Chiles Verdes
Serving Size: 1 (145 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 128.4
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 20.7 mg
- Sodium 162.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 4.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
roasted green chilies
salt and pepper