Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
One of the most popular side dishes in New Mexico
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 zucchini or 2 yellow squash, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped New Mexico green chilies, roasted, peeled, stems removed
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- In a skillet, saute the onion and garlic in the butter until nearly tender, about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add remaining ingredients except cheese and simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes until squash is tender.
- Top with the grated cheese and heat until the cheese is melted.
- Serve as a side dish or in flour tortillas smothered in green chili and topped with more grated cheese.
Lovely! This was definitely on the best side! And so easy! And quick! What's left to say, except thnx for sharing your recipe, vlynn! Made for My-3-Chefs 2009.