Recipe by Sherrybeth
I don't know where Nee got the name of this recipe but she made it for over 40 years and it is a family favorite.
Top Review by sblair13
Your recipe for Calabacita is very similar to my grandmother's and other latino grandmothers who have been making this dish in the South Texas area for over 70 years, though they did not use Rotel. If you salt and pepper your meat when browning you will find it enhances the flavor. Use a cast iron skillet, it works the best.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lb zucchini, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb yellow squash, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, fry bacon until crispy.
- Drain, crumble and set aside, reserving 2 tablespoons bacon grease.
- In the reserved bacon grease, saute' the onions until clear.
- Add the ground beef to the onions and cook until well browned.
- Drain the meat, if necessary to remove most of the grease.
- Add the tomatoes, zucchini and squash, cover and cook until the squash is tender.
- Place cooked mixture in serving dish.
- Salt and pepper to taste, and top with crumbled bacon.