Prep 10 mins
Cook 27 mins
This is a Tex-Mex side dish that is similar to one I remember from my childhood. Serving size is an estimate.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 medium summer squash (cubed or sliced) or 4 medium zucchini (cubed or sliced)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green chili
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained (fresh corn is even better)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheese
- Saute the onion in oil.
- Add the squash and chilies.
- Mix and cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add the corn and seasonings and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Add the milk and cheese, stirring constantly to prevent sticking until cheese melts.
We loved this dish! I have made it about 4x this month! Thank u for posting...I also added some cumin & minced garlic and used canned chilies!
We thought this was very tasty. The only thing is that the milk & cheese didn't come together well for us, so it wasn't as pretty as the pictures. I did add diced tomatoes and jalapenos, but the squash flavor came through beautifully.
I loved this recipe. Made no changes; used two zucchinis and two yel squash. It's really a pretty dish. I ate it as the main course with a salad. For some reason, I was wanting mashed potatoes with this. I think I'll make some to eat with the leftovers. This recipe goes into my favorites.