1/3 Photos of Calabacita con Puerco
2 hrs 20 mins
Susan Buentello's Note:
Calabacita is a classic Tex-Mex dish that is slightly different everywhere you find it. This is my version.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 lbs pork chops, boned and cubed
- 3 -4 serrano chilies, to taste
- 1 large onion
- 2 teaspoons whole comino
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 lbs squash, sliced,large slices quartered (yellow or zucchini or Mexican squash)
- 1 can whole kernel corn, including liquid
- 2 cans Rotel diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1Heat shortening in Dutch oven; fry pork cubes in batches until browned.
- 2Return all pork to pan.
- 3Place chilies and onion in food processor container and process until chopped (or chop together by hand).
- 4Slice garlic and place with cominos and salt in a mortar and pestle and grind together.
- 5(The garlic and cominos and salt can be chopped in the food processor with the chilies and onion, but grinding it gives it more flavor).
- 6Add all vegetables to pan with pork and cook over high heat until onion is transparent.
- 7Sprinkle flour over pork and vegetables and stir to combine.
- 8Cook a few minutes to remove the raw taste of the flour.
- 9Add all remaining ingredients plus about 1 tomato can of water--enough so that pork and vegetables are not quite covered with liquid.
- 10Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover with a lid.
- 11Cook at a simmer for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally, checking periodically and adding more water if necessary.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Calabacita con Puerco
Serving Size: 1 (273 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 270.0
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 78.2 mg
- Sodium 533.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 26.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Rotel diced tomatoes