Recipe by Boomette
This cake needs green tomatoes. It has a cream cheese frosting which looks so yummy. This is from Ricardo.
Top Review by Rita~
Nice but a bit dry! I baked for 60 minutes. And should have removed sooner. I added 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Nuts would be great in this. Maybe if made into 2 layers and baked for 30 minutes with frosting in between the layers would be the way to go. The frosting I did use 6 ounces of cream cheese using 1 1/2 cups sugar. Interesting!
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups green tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup sultana raisin
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, sprinkle half sugar and half salt on tomatoes. Let rest 15 minutes. Put in the blender and reduce in a smooth puree. Add raisins and set aside.
- Put the rack in the center of the oven. Preheat at 350°F Butter an 8 inch spring form pan. Cover the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk with a mixer : oil, remaining sugar and vanilla until is it homogeneous. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing until smooth. At low speed, incorporate dry ingredients alternating with the mixture of tomatoes.
- Distribute the batter in the pan. Cook in the oven about 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool. Unmold and let cool on a rack.
- Icing : In a bowl, with a mixer, cream the cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Ice the cake.