Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a good way to use those green tomatoes that are left over after end of season. No one will guess that the filling is made from green tomatoes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 green tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- Cream sugar and butter or margarine until fluffy.
- Add eggs and water and blend well. In a seperate bowl, combine cake flour, salt and baking powder.
- Gradually add, one-half cup at a time, to batter, blending well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Divide batter amount 3-8" or 9" layer cake pans that have been greased, then dusted with flour.
- Bake in a 350* oven for 25-30 minutes, until lightly browned and a touch of a finger will not leave an impression.
- While cake cools on wire rack -- combine filling ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over low heat and simmer till thick -- stirring constantly. Chill. When cake layers and filling have cooled, assemble cake.
- Spreading one-third of filling between each layer and on top. Serves 10-12.