Recipe by MariaCBarton
After sampling one of these little gems at Starbucks, I just had to make some of my own! They are so delicious, can be customized with numerous different flavor combinations, and can be decorated for any occasion. They're a bit of work, but so worth it.
Top Review by xschmitty
I make cake balls this exact way, but i use toothpicks to dip the ball into the coating and remove the tooth pick before the coating hardens. My favorite combination is vanilla cake, vanilla frosting, and peanut butter coating ( i use melted reese's peanut butter chips for those)
- 1 (18 ounce) cake mix, desired flavor, prepared according to package
- 2 -3 eggs (or whatever your package calls for)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or whatever your package calls for)
- 0.5 (16 ounce) can frosting, any flavor, store bought
- 7 ounces white chocolate candy melts (or any flavor you like)
- candy sprinkles (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake cake according to package and let cool.
- Crumble entire cake in food processor, in batches if necessary, and empty into mixing bowl.
- Mix in 1/2 can of store bought frosting or equal amount of homemade frosting until a dough forms (tends to be easiest by hand).
- Scoop and form into one inch balls, easiest if using a small cookie scooper.
- Melt Wilton Candy Melts according to package.
- For each cake pop, first dip the very end of a lollipop stick into the melted candy coating and insert about half way into cake ball).
- Chill uncoated cake pops for at least 1 hour.
- Re-melt Wilton Candy Melts, and coat the cake pops one by one, dipping one side and turning to coat completely.
- After coated, stand the cake pop up in the styrofoam block or shirt box and decorate with sprinkles before coating is set.
- For a cute presentation, insert into lollipop treat bags and secure with a twistie tie or ribbon.
- You can also decorate with drizzled chocolate or candy melts, in whatever color you choose.
- Combination Ideas:.
- - white cake mix with vanilla frosting, vanilla coating.
- - chocolate cake mix with chocolate frosting, chocolate or peanut butter coating.
- - pumpkin cake mix with vanilla frosting, vanilla or chocolate coating.
- - spice cake mix with vanilla frosting, vanilla or chocolate coating.
- - vanilla cake mix with mint extract, vanilla frosting, chocolate coating.
- - blueberry muffin mix with vanilla frosting, vanilla coating.
- - banana bread mix with vanilla frosting, vanilla coating.
- - cinnamon coffee cake mix with vanilla frosting, vanilla coating with a dash of cinnamon.
- - cheesecake (store bought or homemade) mixed in with graham cracker crust, dipped in chocolate.
- - THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS :).